- 8 boned, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ bunch soft thyme, chopped
- To Serve:
- handful chopped parsley or coriander
- pitta or flat bread
- pickled chillies
- pitted olives
- radishes, roughly chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces.
- For the marinade, peel strips of lemon zest and put in a large non-metallic bowl or large re-sealable sandwich bag with the juice of the lemon and remaining marinade ingredients. Add the chicken, mix well to coat, cover (if in a bowl) and leave to marinade ideally overnight in the fridge.
- Once marinated, thread the chicken onto skewers, leaving a small gap between pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Prepare the barbeque with the baffle in the down position set at a hot temperature for grilling (about 250-350°C).
- Cook the skewers for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally, until you have a golden crust. Transfer to a plate while you heat through the pitta or flatbread, to give it a slightly charred edge.
- Scatter parsley or coriander over the chicken and serve with the pitta, hummus, some pickled chillies, olives, radishes, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and lemon to squeeze over.