- 4 large cox or royal gala apples
- 50g raisins
- 50ml dark rum or sweet sherry
- 75g brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- finely grated zest of ½ orange
- 50g pecan nuts
- 25g butter
- ice-cream, clotted cream or Greek yoghurt to serve
- Remove the core from the apples using a corer or small knife, to create a cavity through the middle of each apple to stuff. Sit each apple on a sheet of foil, large enough to wrap the apples well.
- Mix together the raisins, rum or sherry, sugar, cinnamon, orange zest and pecan nuts. Stuff generously into the apples, letting any excess spill over. Top the apples with a dot of butter and wrap each one tightly so they are well sealed.
- Prepare the barbeque with the baffle in upright position, so it is burning at about 180°C.
- Place the apples in the barbeque, sitting on the grill. Cover with the lid and cook for 35-40 minutes, until soft to touch, rotating a couple of times for even cooking.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before unwrapping and topping with ice-cream, clotted cream or yoghurt.